Saturday, January 26, 2008

Discovering Birth Art


I discovered birth art in 2003 during my pregnancy with my first son. I read the beautiful and inspiring book Birthing from Within by Pam England and was intrigued by the use of art to explore pregnancy and birth. After some time searching for the proper medium and form, I began creating needle felted birth art sculptures like the one shown here.

I created this blog primarily to share images of birth art in my collection--either created by me or given to me by someone else. I decided to start the blog because I noticed that I got a lot of hits on my other blog for "pregnancy art," because I had written posts there about workshops I presented about Celebrating Pregnancy Through Art. However, there isn't really much information there about birth art and it is all mixed together with my other posts, so I thought I'd create a dedicated blog for the subject instead!

No comments: